Qmee recipes – mince pie brownies
Mince pie brownies are the perfect choice for our recipe this week as the festive season has well and truly arrived! Mince pies are definitely a Christmas favorite, and who doesn’t love a brownie?! So combine these two delicious sweet treats in this clever mash-up of brownies and mince pies! They’re sure to prove a big hit throughout the festive season.
Take a look at the ingredients you’ll need and the method you’ll need to follow.
Here’s what you’ll need…
185g unsalted butter, cubed
185g high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
85g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
275g golden caster sugar
6 mince pies or 9-12 mini mince pies
Icing sugar, for dusting
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a medium bowl, either in a microwave – cooking for 1 min on High, then stirring and continuing to heat in 20-second blasts – or by setting the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stirring occasionally.
- Once melted, leave the mixture to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Line the base of a shallow 20cm square tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa into a medium bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on maximum speed until thick and creamy, about 3-8 mins, or when the mixture runs off the beaters and leaves a trail for a second or two.
- Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture, then fold together with a rubber spatula in a figure of eight, moving the bowl round until the mixture is a mottled dark brown. Be gentle so you don’t knock out the air.
- Sift in the cocoa and flour mixture and continue gently folding.
- The mixture will look dry and dusty, then fudgy. Stop just before you feel you should, as you don’t want to overmix it.
- Spoon a little mixture into the prepared tin, then add the mince pies, leaving them whole.
- Scrape over the rest of the mixture, gently easing it between and over the pies. Level the top. Put in the oven for 25 mins.
- If the brownie mixture is very wobbly in the middle, it’s not quite done, so bake for another 5 -10 mins, or until the top has a shiny, papery crust and the sides are just beginning to come away from the tin.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Dust with icing sugar. Cut into quarters, then cut each quarter into four squares. Will keep in an airtight container for a week and in the freezer for up to a month.