Summer is around the corner and, to us, this means beautiful weather, long walks in the fresh air, trips to the beach and… summertime food! When the world around us gets more colorful as summer arrives, so does our food. Summer is known for being ice cream season, but there are also some great summery dishes out there, both savory and sweet, that we’re going to try and make for ourselves. We’ve found some brilliant summertime recipes that we’re going to share with you to help make your summer as yummy as possible!
Our chosen dish this week is a summer dessert with a twist; strawberries and cream cheesecake jars! That’s right, cheesecake in a jar. Thanks to bbcgoodfood.com we’ve found a brilliant way to enjoy a dessert when picnicking without making a huge mess or having to carry a whole cheesecake with us – we’re making our strawberry cheesecakes portable by packing them in to jam jars.
Here’s what you’ll need:
8 jars with lids
200g buttery biscuits (e.g. Fox’s Butter Crinkles)
200g cream cheese
200ml double cream
6 tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
500g strawberries, halved or quartered
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Blitz the biscuits to crumbs in a food processor or in a bowl with the end of a rolling pin.
2. Divide the biscuit crumbs between the jars.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the cream cheese, cream, 5 tbsp icing sugar and the vanilla extract until softly whipped.
4. Tip half the strawberries and the remaining sugar into another bowl and crush with a fork to a purée.
5. Ripple the purée through the cream and divide between the jars.
6. Top each cheesecake with remaining strawberries, secure the lids and chill until ready to pack up.
7. Transport in a cooler bag with the rest of your picnic bits!
We’re definitely going to be trying this soon! Let us know how you get on and if you have any similar recipes you’d like to share please leave us a comment below.