The summer months are a great time to try out your cake baking skills – with picnics and barbecues happening every weekend, taking a home made cake along will put a smile on everyone’s face! For our Summertime recipe this week, we’ve chosen an easy summer bake. Made by adding dots of cheesecake mix to almond sponge along with strawberry chunks, it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Here’s what you’ll need:
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
50g ground almond
75g full-fat natural yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
250g strawberry, sliced
Handful of flaked, toasted almonds
For the cheesecake blobs…
200g full-fat cream cheese
25g caster sugar
1 large egg
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a deep 23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Mix the ingredients for the cheesecake blobs together in a bowl until just combined – be careful not to overmix or it will become runny. Set aside.
3. Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, yogurt, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a large bowl, and beat together until smooth using an electric hand whisk.
4. Scrape half the cake mixture into the tin, then scatter with half the strawberries.
5. Use the back of a teaspoon to create dips in the surface of the cake and dollop in spoonfuls of cheesecake mixture – saving about half for the top.
6. Cover with the remaining cake mixture, being careful not to disturb the cheesecake and strawberries below.
7. Scatter with the remaining strawberries and spoon on the remaining cheesecake mixture, using the same method as before.
8. Scatter with almonds and bake for 50 mins-1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Cool for 20 mins in the tin before turning out.
And there you have it; the perfect strawberry and almost cheesecake sponge, delicious served warm or cold! Let us know how you get on if you try this recipe by leaving a comment below.