Summertime recipes – Cajun shrimp mac and cheese
Last week we mentioned our summertime recipes are almost at an end (only to be replaced with some scrummy autumnal recipes as soon as fall really kicks in!). So for our recipe this week we’ve chosen a firm favorite – mac and cheese!
Take a look at the recipe below for this rich, creamy mac and cheese topped with spicy Cajun shrimp…
Here’s what you’ll need…
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoon butter, 1 melted
1 lb large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 lb Campanella pasta
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded white cheddar
1 cup shredded jack cheese
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add minced garlic, stir and cook an additional minute or until vegetables have softened. Remove vegetables and set aside.
3. Add the butter to the same skillet. Add shrimp and Cajun seasoning, tossing to coat. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink.
4. Meanwhile prepare pasta according to package directions.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and flour whisking until combined.
7. Slowly pour in heavy cream and continue to whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook milk mixture for 3-5 minutes or until it begins to thicken (do not let the milk boil). Whisk in cheese and stir until smooth.
8. Carefully toss pasta with cheese sauce and cooked vegetables.
9. Pour pasta into a cast iron skillet that is sprayed with cooking spray. Arrange shrimp over the pasta.
10. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Panko bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle bread crumbs over pasta.
11. Place pasta in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or just until cheese has set.
12. Preheat broiler and broil pasta for 3 minutes or just until bread crumbs are golden, and cheese bubbles.
Let us know how you get on if you try out this recipe, or if you have any other mac and cheese recipes with a twist we’d love to hear them! Leave us a comment below…