Whenever people mention having a salad for dinner, it always sounds boring – lettuce and cucumber aren’t the most exciting of foods. However, the Latin American style salad recipe we’ve found for this week is definitely something we’ve never tried before, and it sounds far from boring!
For our summertime recipes blog this week we’ve chosen a Mexican salad with tortilla croutons. Black beans make a great salad base, and when you mix them with avocado, tomatoes and cilantro you’ve got the perfect taste of Mexico.
Salads are great for summer as they’re light and easy to make on a hot summer’s day; grab all the ingredients, throw them in a bowl and that’s about all you have to do, and they still taste great.
Here’s what you’ll need:
3 flour tortillas, cut into crouton-sized pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Cajun or Mexican seasoning mix
1 iceberg lettuce, shredded
400g can of black beans, rinsed and drained
200g pack cherry tomatoes, halved
2 avocados, stoned, peeled and sliced
Juice of 1 lime
½ bunch cilantro, leaves only
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Heat oven to 180c/gas 6
- Place the tortilla pieces on a baking tray, toss with the oil and seasoning mix
- Cook tortillas for 10-12 minutes until crisp
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, beans and tomatoes
- Toss the avocado in the lime juice then add to the bowl
- Drizzle over your chosen dressing and toss to coat all the ingredients
- Top with the croutons and coriander…
…and serve! Perfect! There are only 337 calories in this dish so not only does it taste great, it’ll make you feel great too. Leave us a comment below with your summertime recipe ideas; we’d love to know what you’ll be cooking whilst the sun is shining!