Qmee recipes – Stollen spirals for Christmas brunch
Christmas is only 2 weeks away so we’re starting to think of some great things to cook over the Holiday period. The recipe we’ve chosen this week is perfect for a Christmas brunch – why not bake a batch of these sweet German buns and enjoy at breakfast or teatime… or both!
Here’s what you’ll need…
Zest 1 orange, plus juice ½
4 tbsp Cointreau
85g dried cranberries
85g mixed dried fruit
550g strong white bread flour, plus extra for kneading
2 x 7g sachets easy-bake dried yeast
85g golden caster sugar
Good grating of nutmeg
85g butter, plus extra for the tin
1 large egg
250ml warm milk
Sunflower oil, for the bowl
25g pistachios, chopped
300g golden marzipan
Melted butter and icing sugar, or icing sugar mixed with a little water, plus chopped pistachios
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Stir together the zest and juice, Cointreau, cranberries and mixed fruit in a small bowl and leave to soak.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, yeast, caster sugar and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add ½ tsp salt and rub in the butter.
- Beat the egg with the warm milk, then pour onto the flour mix. Stir with a round-bladed knife, then use your hands to bring the mixture together as a soft dough.
- Tip onto a work surface and knead for a couple of mins, adding a little flour only if you need to stop it sticking.
- Oil the bowl, return the dough and cover with cling film.
- Leave to rise for 45 mins-1 hr in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Line and butter a large roasting tin with baking parchment.
- Roll the risen dough out firmly to a long strip about 70 x 18cm. Add the pistachios to the soaked fruit, then scatter the mix along the dough.
- Roll the marzipan into a sausage the same length as the longest side of the dough, then place it down the centre of the dough and roll up together firmly, a bit like making a sausage roll.
- Trim the ends, then cut the rest into even lengths and arrange, cut side up, in the tin.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rise for 45 mins-1 hr until really well risen.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden. Will freeze for up to 6 weeks.
- Brush with melted butter and dredge with icing sugar, or mix a little water into the icing sugar, drizzle over the buns and scatter over the nuts. Eat within 2 days.
Sounds perfect, we can’t wait to give this recipe a go.