First of all, Merry Christmas!
For our Qmee recipe this week, we’ve decided to choose a Christmas-related recipe (seeing as it’s Christmas Day tomorrow!). This easy pie has all the best bits from Christmas dinner in one: turkey, stuffing, sausage and roast potatoes. Perfect for all of your left-overs on Boxing Day! Just bake until golden brown and tuck in.
Here’s what you’ll need…
1 tbsp olive oil
Knob of butter
1 large onion, halved and sliced
6 sausages or 8 chipolatas (leftover pigs in blankets are fine too)
2 tsp English mustard powder
50g plain flour
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
150ml white wine
500ml chicken stock or leftover gravy
6 stuffing balls, leftover or shop-bought
300g cooked turkey, shredded
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
100g low-fat crème fraîche
Small bunch parsley, chopped
800g leftover roast potatoes
20g mature cheddar, grated
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, shallow ovenproof casserole dish. Add the onion and cook for 10 mins until really soft.
- Push the onion to one side of the dish and add the sausages, browning them all over (skip this step if you’re using cooked leftovers).
- Remove the sausages from the dish and set aside to cool a little.
- Stir the mustard powder, flour and stock cube into the oil and butter for 1-2 mins, then add the white wine. Bubble for 1 min, scraping the bottom of the dish to release any tasty bits, then add the stock.
- Stir to make a smooth sauce, season and bubble for 5 mins. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Cut the sausages and stuffing into bite-sized chunks, add to the sauce with the turkey, mustard, crème fraîche and parsley.
- When bubbling, remove from the heat. Crumble the potatoes in your hands over the top of the filling, so you have some larger and smaller chunks.
- Scatter with cheese and bake for 40 mins until the potatoes are crisp and the filling is bubbling around the edges.