Qmee recipes – Nanaimo bars
If you’re looking for a new dessert idea, or a sweet snack to have during a coffee morning or afternoon tea, Nanaimo bars are perfect!
These bars from Canada are so moreish – with a crunchy biscuit base, custard layer and chocolate topping, we’ll be surprised if you’re able to stick to having just one!
Take a look at the ingredients and method below.
Here’s what you’ll need…
For the biscuit base:
125g softened butter
50g caster sugar
5 tbsp cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
200g digestive biscuits, blitzed to crumbs
100g desiccated coconut
50g chopped almonds (optional)
For the custard icing:
100g butter, softened
4 tbsp double cream
3 tbsp custard powder
250g icing sugar
For the chocolate topping:
150g dark chocolate
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Start by making the biscuit base – in a bowl, over a pan of simmering water, melt the butter with the sugar and cocoa powder, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Whisk in the egg for 2 to 3 mins until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and mix in the biscuit crumbs, coconut and almonds if using, then press into the base of a lined 20cm square tin. Chill for 10 mins.
- For the middle layer, make the custard icing; whisk together the butter, cream and custard powder until light and fluffy, then gradually add the icing sugar until fully incorporated.
- Spread over the bottom layer and chill in the fridge for at least 10 mins until the custard is no longer soft.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave, then spread over the chilled bars and put back in the fridge.
- Leave until the chocolate has fully set (about 2 hrs).
- Take the mixture out of the tin and slice into squares to serve.