It’s the 4th July tomorrow, US Independence Day, many people will be celebrating by having family get-togethers, parties and barbecues. So this week, our Qmee recipe is the perfect addition to a barbecue! As well as your usual hot dogs and beef burgers, why not try these miso-glazed chicken burgers with cabbage-apple slaw on top?
Here’s what you’ll need…
2 lb. ground white-meat chicken
1 medium onion
2 stalk celery
2 egg whites
3 tbsp. sesame oil
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 c. miso paste
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 shredded cabbage (purple and/or white)
2 crisp, sweet red apples
8 Sesame buns
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, breadcrumbs, 2/3 cup onion, celery, egg whites, and 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and season with 2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper.
- Shape into 8 equal (about 5 1/2 ounces each) patties.
- Place patties between squares of waxed paper and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine miso paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar.
- Equally divide miso glaze into 2 bowls (1 for grilling and 1 for drizzling on slaw). Set both aside.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine cabbage, apples, and remaining onion, sesame oil, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium and grill buns, split side down, until warmed, about 2 minutes then transfer to a platter.
- Coat grill with cooking spray and grill burgers, about 6 minutes per side.
- Brush burgers with miso glaze from the first bowl, flip, and grill for 1 1/2 minutes more. Repeat for other side.
- Place burgers on bottom buns; then layer with slaw, a drizzle of miso glaze from the second bowl, and top buns.
Compared with a typical cheeseburger slathered in mayo, this miso-glazed chicken version topped with flavorful slaw saves you 109 calories and 24 grams of fat – much more healthy and still absolutely delicious!