Everyone loves a pizza, right?! So this week, the recipe we’ve chosen is for exactly that!
This recipe ensures a crispy-bottomed pizza without ever turning on the oven. It’s easy, veggie and 2 of your 5-a-day!
Take a look at the ingredients and method below.
Here’s what you’ll need…
For the dough:
200g strong white bread flour, plus a little for dusting
Half tsp fast-action dried yeast
Half tsp golden caster sugar
a little oil, for greasing
For the toppings:
4 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
Pinch of golden caster sugar (optional)
1 small aubergine, sliced into discs
100g ricottasmall handful mint, roughly chopped
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Weigh the ingredients for the dough into a large bowl and add 1/2 tsp salt and 125ml warm water.
- Mix to form a soft dough, then tip onto your work surface and knead for 5 mins or until the dough feels stretchy.
- Clean and grease the bowl and return the dough. Cover with cling film and leave somewhere warm to rise for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce – heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and add the garlic. Sizzle gently for 30 secs, making sure the garlic doesn’t brown, then add the passata.
- Season well and bubble for 8-10 mins until you have a rich sauce – add a pinch of sugar if it tastes a little too tart. Set aside.
- When the dough has risen, knock out the air and roll it into a pizza base the same size as a large frying pan.
- Oil the surface of the dough, cover with cling film , then leave on the work surface for 15 mins to puff up a little.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in the frying pan and add the aubergines in a single layer (you may have to cook in batches).
- Season well and cook for 4-5 mins on each side until really tender and golden. Transfer to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the pan and carefully lift the dough into it. You may have to reshape it a little to fit.
- Cook over a low-medium heat until the underside is golden brown and the edges of the dough are starting to look dry and set – this should take about 6 mins, but it’s best to go by eye.
- Flip over, drizzle a little more oil around the edge of the pan so it trickles underneath the pizza base, and cook for another 5-6 mins until golden and cooked through.
- Reheat the sauce if you need to and spread it over the base. Top with the warm aubergines and dot with spoonfuls of ricotta.
- Scatter with mint and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil just before serving.