This week we thought it was time for another delicious dessert recipe, so we’ve chosen a chocolate, hazelnut and salted caramel tart. Our mouths are watering just thinking about this dish!
A buttery pastry case with a layer of caramel and just a hint of salt, studded with nuts and finished with a chocolate fudge filling. Take a look at the ingredients and method below…
Here’s what you’ll need…
For the hazelnut pastry:
50g blanched hazelnut
200g plain flour
1 tbsp icing sugar
140g cold butter, diced
1 egg yolk
Flour, for dusting
For the salted caramel:
75g caster sugar
100ml double cream
1 tbsp golden syrup
Large pinch sea salt flakes
50g blanched hazelnut, toasted and roughly chopped
For the chocolate fudge filling:
100g dark chocolate (70%)
2 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
50g caster sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- To make the pastry, whizz the hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add the flour, icing sugar and butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and 1-2 tbsp cold water, and pulse until the dough comes together. Tip the dough out and flatten into a disc, then wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry to line a 23cm loose-bottomed, deep tart tin. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork, then line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 20 mins, then carefully remove the baking beans and parchment and bake for a further 5-10 mins until light golden. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the salted caramel – tip the sugar into a small pan, add 1-2 tbsp water and heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Increase the heat and cook until the sugar turns to an amber-coloured caramel.
- Reduce the heat and add the butter, cream and golden syrup, and stir until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the salt. Allow to cool for a few mins, then spread onto the tart base.
- Scatter with chopped hazelnuts and set aside.
- For the chocolate filling, melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth, then remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolk and caster sugar for about 6 mins until thick and pale.
- Fold in the melted chocolate and cocoa, then pour into the tart case.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and cook for 20-25 mins or until set and the top has formed a crust.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving in slices.