Qmee recipes – chocolate coconut banoffee pie
Our recipe this week is for a scrumptious dessert with a chocolate biscuit base, a layer of caramel, a creamy coconut topping and banana toffee. Who could resist this chocolate coconut banoffee pie!
Here’s what you’ll need…
397g can caramel
100g dark chocolate
a little cocoa powder, for dusting
For the coconut cream:
400ml can coconut milk
4 large egg yolks
4 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp Malibu
300ml pot double cream
For the base:
200g pack creamed coconut, roughly chopped
400g bourbon biscuits
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- To make the base, gently melt the creamed coconut in a pan, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, whizz the biscuits in a food processor (if you don’t have one, bash to the finest crumbs you can).
- Mix with the melted coconut and a pinch of salt. Press over the base and up the sides of a 22cm round loose-bottomed fluted tin. Chill.
- To make the coconut cream, bring the coconut milk to almost a simmer. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and flours.
- Pour the hot coconut milk over while whisking continuously. Tip back into the pan and gently heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, smooth and glossy. (At first it will be lumpy, but keep beating and it will become smooth.)
- Simmer for 2 mins, then take off the heat and stir in the Malibu.
- Cool with a sheet of cling film laid directly on the surface so a skin doesn’t form.
- Scrape the caramel into a pan with the chocolate, broken into chunks, and gently melt together. Peel and slice the bananas, then arrange the slices over the base of the pie.
- Pour over the chocolate caramel and chill again to set – 1 hr at least, or up to 24 hrs.
- When the coconut cream has gone cold, scrape into a bowl with the double cream and beat until just thick enough to hold a peak.
- Gently spoon into a plastic food bag (easy to transport) and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, snip off the end of the cream bag and pipe all over the pie. Dust with a little cocoa to finish, and eat with any extra coconut cream mixture served in a bowl.
We can’t wait to try out this delicious banoffee pie!