Qmee recipes – chicken and ham lasagne
It’s a new year and time for some new recipes! We’ve found some really great ones so we’re looking forward to sharing them with our users.
The first recipe of 2018 is a twist on a traditional Italian dish – lasagne! Instead of the usual filling (beef mince), this comforting dish has layered pasta sheets, meat and spinach, topped with gooey, melted cheese – delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need…
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
200ml white wine
100g plain flour
500ml semi-skimmed milk
140g sliced smoked ham, cut into strips
200g spinach leaves
225g no pre-cook dried lasagne sheets (about 20 sheets)
200g ready-grated mozzarella
25g parmesan, finely grated
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Put the chicken breasts in a medium saucepan with the onion, bay leaves and wine.
- Pour over just enough water to cover, around 200ml. Put a lid on top and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Poach gently for 15 mins or until the chicken is just cooked. Transfer the chicken to a board and strain the liquid into a jug.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon and cook for about a minute.
- Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition to ensure the sauce stays smooth. Once all the milk has been added, stir in the reserved cooking liquid and continue cooking for a further 2-3 mins.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Cut the chicken into small chunks and stir into the saucepan. Add the ham and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Spoon a third of the chicken mixture into the base of a 3-litre lasagne dish (about 26 x 18cm).
- Top with a third of the lasagne sheets.
- Repeat the layers twice more, ending with lasagne. Scatter the mozzarella and Parmesan on top and season with black pepper.
- Bake for about 25 mins or until the lasagne is tender, the topping is well browned and the filling hot.