It’s the start of a brand new year, which means we’ve got some brand new Qmee recipes lined up for you!
Our first recipe for 2019 is a for a traditional braised beef and vegetable stew with thick, rich gravy – an ideal recipe for cheap cuts as slow-cooking guarantees a tender dish.
Take a look at the ingredients and method below.
Here’s what you’ll need…
2 celerysticks, thickly sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 really big carrots, halved lengthways then very chunkily sliced
5 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs, 1 whole and 1 leaves picked
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
850g stewing beef (featherblade or brisket works nicely), cut into nice large chunks
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and put the kettle
- Put 2 thickly sliced celery sticks, 1 chopped onion, 2 chunkily sliced carrots, 5 bay leaves and 1 whole thyme sprig in a flameproof casserole dish with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tbsp butter.
- Soften for 10 mins, then stir in 2 tbsp plain flour until it doesn’t look dusty anymore, followed by 2 tbsp tomato purée, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and 2 crumbled beef stock cubes.
- Gradually stir in 600ml hot water, then tip in 850g stewing beef and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and put in the oven for 2hrs 30 mins, then uncover and cook for 30mins – 1hr more until the meat is really tender and the sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with the picked leaves of the remaining thyme sprig.