Our autumnal recipe this week is a classic English pudding with a little twist! We’re swapping apples for pears in these individual pear and blackberry crumbles, with a crunchy pistachio topping. The perfect dessert for a cold fall evening.
Take a look at the ingredients and method below.
Here’s what you’ll need…
700g (or 4 large) ripe English pears, peeled and cubed
100g golden granulated sugar
200g plain flour
100g unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
85g shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
100g demerara sugar
Vanilla ice cream
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
- Place the pears in a medium-size pan, add the granulated sugar and cook on a medium heat until the fruit starts to soften and releases its juices, about 10 mins.
- Add the blackberries and bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- Spoon the fruity mixture into 4 individual ovenproof ramekins, or 1 large baking dish.
- Place the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the pistachios and demerara sugar, then stir to combine.
- Sprinkle crumble evenly over the cooked fruit (this can be done up to 1 day ahead, or frozen for up to 1 month)
- Bake for 20-25 mins if small, 40 mins if large, until golden (if baking from frozen, add 15 mins cooking time).
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, then serve with vanilla ice cream.
Sounds absolutely delicious! Let us know if you give these crumbles a try, or if you have any other crumble versions that you like to make during the fall season.