This week, as part of our autumnal recipes, we wanted to choose something that makes us think of autumn straight away. When it’s cold and windy outside, what better a dish to warm you up than soup! So we’ve chosen an autumn vegetable soup recipe this week and we think it looks great.
This satisfying low-fat soup won’t induce guilt and you can add a taste of luxury by serving it with some cheesy toasts. Take a look at the recipe below…
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 leek, chopped quite small
2 carrots, chopped quite small
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 potato, chopped quite small
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
½ tsp sugar
410g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 x 400g cans chopped Italian tomatoes
425ml/¾ pint vegetable stock
For the toasts…
8 slices of baguette, cut diagonally
1 garlic clove, cut in half
50g Edam, finely grated
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Put the vegetables into a large saucepan with the garlic, rosemary, stock and sugar.
2. Season well, stir, bring to a simmer and cover.
3. Cook gently for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
4. Preheat the grill to high.
5. Whizz the tomatoes in a food processor or blender until smooth, then tip into the vegetables with the chickpeas and parsley.
6. Gently heat through, stirring now and then.
7. For the toasts: rub both sides of the bread with the garlic. Grill on one side until golden, turn the bread over, cover with Edam and grill until it’s bubbling. Serve at once with the piping hot soup.
We’re really looking forward to trying this out! Seasonal vegetables are great to use in any dish so a dish made from lots of them sounds brilliant. This would be great to serve as a starter if you’re having a dinner party, or even just for lunch on the weekend.
Do you have any soup recipes you’d like to share with us? Or maybe you’re planning to try this recipe out? Let us know by leaving a comment below…