As November and the cold weather have both arrived, so have our winter recipes. Shorter days, darker nights and much, much colder weather often leave us feeling the need for warm, comfort food – absolutely nothing wrong with that! And although we do like to stay healthy, sometimes chocolate is a must.
So this week, our first winter recipe is for a delicious chocolate pudding. This hot, gooey pud, with dark chocolate and pears, can be made ahead of the day you want it for and frozen – which makes it a perfect, no-fuss dinner party dessert.
Here’s what you’ll need…
200g butter, plus extra for greasing
300g golden caster sugar
4 large eggs
75g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
410g can pear halves in juice, drained
100g plain dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
25g flaked almonds (optional)
Cream or ice cream, to serve
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Lightly grease a roughly 20 x 30cm shallow ovenproof dish.
- Put the butter in a large saucepan and place over a low heat until just melted.
- Remove the butter from the heat and stir in the sugar until well combined.
- Whisk the eggs together in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar, beating well with a wooden spoon in between each addition.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder on top of the egg mixture, then beat hard with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin or dish and nestle the pears into the chocolate batter.
- Put the chocolate on a board and cut into chunky pieces roughly 1.5cm with a large knife.
- Scatter the chocolate pieces over the batter and sprinkle with almonds, if you like (can be frozen at this stage if you’re saving for another day).
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 mins or until the mixture is crusty on the surface and lightly cooked inside.
- Do not allow to overcook, as the cake will become spongy rather than gooey in the centre.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream
We can’t wait to try this out! Let us know if you have any yummy chocolate-related winter recipes by leaving a comment below.