What are your favorite things to do in summer? Go swimming? Sit in the park with an ice cream? Go to the beach? Well one of our most favorite things of all is having a barbecue in the garden with all our friends and family – as soon as the sun comes out, so does the barbecue and all the summertime food!
We’ve found a great idea for a yummy addition to the burgers, ribs and chicken that usually make up barbecue parties; our chosen dish this week, as part of our summertime recipes, is grilled salmon sandwiches with lemon and dill mayo. They’re simple to make and only take about 25 minutes, and taste great both hot and cold.
Here’s what you’ll need:
4 rashers streaky bacon
1 (450g) fillet salmon – cut in to 2 portions
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 tablespoons mayo
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
4 slices toasted crusty bread
4 slices tomato
2 lettuce leaves
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Cook the bacon for about 10 minutes in a deep frying pan over med-high heat until browned
- Preheat the barbecue for med-high heat
- Evenly coat the salmon with the olive oil
- Cook the salmon on the barbecue with the skin side down for about 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for about 5 minutes more until the skin can be lifted off the flesh
- Flip the salmon once more and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until it flakes easily
- Whisk the mayo, dill and lemon zest in a small bowl then divide between 2 of the toasted bread slices
- Top each with 1 portion of cooked salmon, 2 tomato slices, 2 bacon slices, 1 lettuce leaf and top it off with the other slice of toasted bread
And there you have it; a delicious summer treat for when you’re having a family barbecue, or just a snack for two whilst relaxing in the sunshine.
We’d love to hear some of the recipes you’ll be trying out this summer so leave a comment below if you want to share your ideas…